“Where did you enroll Zee”? asked a mom.
“Oh, we are currently homeschooling him” I answered.
“Ay! Why?” she replied
I know many people get shocked and curious why we chose to homeschool our son.
We’ve decided not to enroll him in a regular school this year and gave homeschooling a try this school year.
- because pre-k is not a deped-requirement (so nakatipid naman kami ng jr. preschool years if ever ipasok namin sya next year)
- our lifestyle is on-the-go and we cannot find a school with good class schedule, the last time we inquired, their available slots are mid in the afternoon
- financial reasons
As of now, we do not have a provider yet, most of our lessons are interest-led and “Salamat Pinterest and Google” (hehe!)
This coming October 7, the Philippine Homeschool Conference will take place from 7 a.m. (start of registration) to 6 p.m. at Treston International College in Bonifacio Global City, Taguig.
Here’s why I am excited to join the conference and why a newbie homeschooler like me look forward to this conference:
1. We can learn from the experts – Philippine Homeschool Conference is a gathering full of information and inspiration for people who want to learn more about homeschooling, are just starting out, or want to improve their homeschooling experience.
2. There’s an “Expo” to explore homeschool stuff- it is also a venue where homeschoolers (and even non-homeschoolers!) can look at and purchase materials, plus get to know more about services and programs that may aid them in their homeschooling.
3. An opportunity to listen to Speakers- The keynote topics will be given by passionate homeschooling leaders and committed advocates of education:
- Back-to-Basics Parenting in the Technological Age (by Senator Francis Pangilinan)
- Unconventional Education: Empowering the Youth for the Future (by Efren Peñaflorida Jr.)
- The Best Option for Education in the 21st Century: Homeschooling. Know Your Kids. Discover Their Passion. Learning Happens (by Marissa Leinart)
4. A venue to build relationship with other homeschooling families – I heard from other moms that their families enjoyed every conference because it is also a chance to meet Facebook friends, a mini-meet up and most of the time followed by playdates.
5. Take home learnings and apply in the home – in addition to the inspiring and information-packed keynotes, every conference attendee will definitely find something “fit” for their unique homeschooling situation in the practical Breakout Sessions lined up for the conference. Participants may choose two of the topics for the Breakout Sessions.
- We Want to Homeschool! Now What?
- Homeschool for Free
- The Juggling Act: Home Management for Teacher Moms
- What I Learned in My Rookie Year of Homeschooling
- The Working Homeschool Mom
- 7 Tips for Teaching Multiple Age Students Without Losing Your Mind
- Narration 101
- Carving Out Me-Time for Busy Homeschool Moms
- No Fear! Homeschooling through High School
- Technology in Your Homeschool
- Raising Financially-Literate Kids
- That Thing Called ‘Gap Year’
- The Treston Way: Excellent and Ethical Education in a Caring Community
(For detailed descriptions of each Keynote and Breakout Sessions topic, visit www.educatingforlife.co)
How much is the ticket and how to register?
The Early Bird Rate is applicable until Sept. 30, 2017 only, after which the Walk-In Rate of P1,000 per head applies.
To register and/or learn more about the PHC 2017 registration process, participants may log on to http://bit.ly/phc2017reg for complete details.
Hope to see you mommies at the Philippine Homeschool Conference and let’s learn together!
Follow the following social media accounts to get updates and help spread the word about the PHC 2017:
Homeschool Association of the Philippine Islands on Facebook